Guramit Singh Kalirai, Former Sikh EDL Leader, On The Run Following Violent Robbery ~ Charlotte Meredith, The Huffington Post UK.
One of the former leaders and co-founders of the English Defence League has been found guilty of a violent botched robbery and is now on the run, police have said.
Guramit Singh Kalirai, 31, along with two accomplices Andrew Wheelhouse, 31 and David Mura, 26, tied up a shop assistant and threatened to slash his throat in a robbery gone wrong in Nottingham.
Guramit Singh Kalirai is on the run
The trio were sent to prison on Tuesday this week after being found guilty of attempted robbery at Nottingham Crown Court.
But Kalirai absconded ahead of the trial and was sentenced to six-and-a-half-years in prison in his absence. A warrant is now out for his arrest.
Kalirai, who ran the “Sikh division of EDL”, was within the inner circle of the leadership of the far-right organisation, along with leader, Tommy Robinson and deputy Kevin Carroll.
Detective Inspector Monk said inquires are continuing to locate Kalarai, who was previously arrested on suspicion of causing religiously aggravated harassment, alarm or distress.
“I would urge anyone with knowledge of his whereabouts to come forward so that he can be brought before the court,” he said.
Nottinghamshire Police have urged members of the public to call Notts Police on 101 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 if they have any information.
Another EDL fugitive, Archie Sleman is still at large. Sleman attempted to rape and beat up a ten year old girl in a caravan and Devon and Cornwall Police are searching for to to return him to prison.
He had been diagnosed as a “cold and callous psychopath” and had robbed his own homeless friend at knifepoint when they were sleeping rough on land near Sandygate roundabout, the Exeter Express And Echo reported.
- Guramit Is On The Run (loonwatch.com)
- EDL man flees after violent attack (bbc.co.uk)
- Gang’s chilling threat to shop assistant in botched robbery (edlcriminals.com)
- #EDL thug who got out of police cordon and beat up Anti-Fascist walks free. (fashfreezone.wordpress.com)
- On the run: Public warned not to approach “psychopath” paedophile believed to be in Exeter (edlcriminals.com)
- Police bill for EDL protest over nonexistent Sheffield mosque may top £600,000 (yorkshirepost.co.uk)
- Selfridges assistant suspended for refusing to serve EDL leader’s friend http://t.co/XavhgROBLg (theguardian.com)
- Rosamund Urwin: Selfridges was wrong to pander to the EDL boss (standard.co.uk)
- Anti-fascists turn out in force against three racist marches (socialistworker.co.uk)
- EDL leader Tommy Robinson kicked out of casino after national ban (standard.co.uk)