“I’ve had enough of someone else’s propaganda.I’m for Truth, no matter who tells it. I’m for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I’m a human being first and foremost, and as such I’m for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole.” ~ Malcolm X
- What Is The Legally Accepted Definition Of Apartheid?
As defined by the United Nations, in the International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid, the crime of apartheid is described as: “similar policies and practices of racial segregation and discrimination as practised in southern Africa, shall apply to the following inhuman acts committed for the purpose of establishing and maintaining domination by one racial group of persons over any other racial group of persons and systematically oppressing them”. It specifies such practices to include:
“Any legislative measures and other measures calculated to prevent a racial group or groups from participation in the political, social, economic and cultural life of the country and the deliberate creation of conditions preventing the full development of such a group or groups, in particular by denying to members of a racial group or groups basic human rights and freedoms, including the right to work, the right to form recognized trade unions, the right to education, the right to leave and to return to their country, the right to a nationality, the right to freedom of movement and residence, the right to freedom of opinion and expression, and the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association”
“Any measures including legislative measures, designed to divide the population along racial lines by the creation of separate reserves and ghettos for the members of a racial group or groups, the prohibition of mixed marriages among members of various racial groups, the expropriation of landed property belonging to a racial group or groups or to members thereof”.
For the complete definition, visit: http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/11.htm
- Author Ben White talks about his new book ‘Palestinians in Israel: Segregation, Discrimination and Democracy’ (Pluto Press).
- Ben White book launch – ‘Palestinians in Israel: Segregation, Discrimination and Democracy’
- What CAN we do to put an end to this?
- Recognize that what Israel is doing within its own borders and against Palestinians in the Occupied Territories IS Apartheid.
- We should not be intimidated to use this term. Israelis in Israel, ranging from peace activists to academics to right-wing military strategists, ALL use the term HaFrada, signifying a policy of separation or apartheid.
- Undoubtedly, the crime of apartheid is a serious crime, illegal under international law, and carrying serious repercussions in an international court. We should not use it lightly, but seriously. Israel IS an apartheid state and its policies in the Occupied Palestinian Territories cannot be classified as anything else
- We should encourage Israelis to take the initiative and begin steps towards altering the criminal and unjust policies of their government. Criticism of Israel is not anti-Semitic nor simply ideological, it is a human responsibility!
- It is important to divest and boycott all produce, sponsors, and facilitators of Israeli apartheid and its occupation of Palestine.
- Most importantly perhaps, it is essential that we all educate ourselves on WHAT apartheid is, HOW Israel applies apartheid policies in Palestine, and the IMPLICATIONS under International Humanitarian Law of Israeli apartheid. Many resources, publications, human rights reports, and statements exist attesting to the apartheid policies of the State of Israel.
“To wash one’s hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless is not to be neutral, it is to side with the powerful” ~ Paolo Freire
“Travelling into Palestine’s West Bank and Gaza Strip, which I visited recently, is like a surreal trip back into an apartheid state of emergency [in South Africa]. … It is shocking to discover that certain roads are barred to Palestinians and reserved for Jewish settlers. I try in vain to recall anything quite as obscene in apartheid South Africa.” ~ Ronnie Kasrils, highest serving Jewish South African, former Minister of Intelligence. Leader of the struggle against South African Apartheid.
“Dov Lior, a popular chief rabbi in Israel, recently called Obama a Kushi, which is Israel’s equivalent to nig*er. Most Americans are completely unaware of the general contempt that many Jewish people have towards blacks, as Max Blumenthal found out when he interviewed dozens of young people in Israel who reiterated the Rabbi’s sentiments about Obama. Blumenthal’s video titled Feeling the Hate in Israel was removed from YouTube, Vimeo, and the Huffington Post shortly after going viral.”
If you like our work and wish to support it click here: