An MP is to raise the case of a woman who he says had her baby forcibly removed by Caesarean section, and taken by social services in Essex.
Liberal Democrat John Hemming said the Italian woman had had a panic attack linked to her bipolar disorder and was sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
She was sedated after authorities obtained a court order.
Essex County Council, which allegedly took the baby into care, said it could not comment on “ongoing” cases.
It is understood the woman was pregnant when she came to the UK to work for Stansted Airport in 2012.
Up for adoption
He claims to have seen documents proving Essex social services obtained a court order for a Caesarean section, and for the child to be taken into care.
He said the girl, who is now 15 months old, was still in the care of Essex social services and was being put up for adoption.
Solicitor Brendan Fleming issued a statement in which he said he had been instructed by the woman’s lawyers but would not discuss the case.
“We remain committed to fighting for our clients and shall fight tooth and nail to help mother be reunited with her baby,” it said.
A council spokesperson said: “Essex County Council does not comment on the circumstances of ongoing individual cases involving vulnerable people and children.”
A lawyer for a woman forced to undergo a Caesarean section and give her baby up for adoption condemns her treatment.
- MP to raise forced Caesarean claim (bbc.co.uk)
- MP John Hemming to raise Essex forced Caesarean claim (arunbabyveranakunnel.wordpress.com)
- Forced caesarean case: Italian woman ‘suffering like an animal’ (theguardian.com)
- | Child taken from womb by social services after mother’s panic attack! (truthaholics.wordpress.com)
- Forced caesarean was carried out ‘because of risks to mother and child’ (theguardian.com)
- Judge intervenes in case of mentally-ill mother whose baby was delivered by caesarean section after court order (itv.com)
- Mother’s anguish after baby is snatched from womb by care workers (express.co.uk)
- Essex: Woman’s baby allegedly removed by Caesarean section by order of social services (eadt.co.uk)
- MP queries ‘forced’ caesarean section (theguardian.com)
- Social workers ordered pregnant Italian woman in Britain for work ‘to have baby removed by caesarean section’ (standard.co.uk)