REFERENCES MADE BY NELSON MANDELA
PLO: The Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) was created in 1964 with the purpose of advancing the struggle for Palestinian self determination. The PLO is recognised as the “sole legitimate representative of the Palestinian people” by over 100 countries with which it holds diplomatic relations. Like South Africa’s (now ruling ANC) the PLO was considered by the United States and Israel to be a terrorist organisation until 1991. In 1993 Israel officially recognised the PLO as the representative of the Palestinian people.
YASSER ARAFAT: Late leader of the Palestinian people as well as chairman of the PLO.
ABOUT THE VIDEO
– 1990 Town Hall Meeting with Nelson Mandela on Palestine, Cuba and other issues
The video consists of extracts from a 1990 town hall meeting, held in New York and chaired by Ted Koppel of ABC Networks. The meeting formed part Nelson Mandela’s first visit to the USA immediately following his release after 27 years in prison.
Much of the meeting focused on Nelson Mandela’s advocating of sanctions against Apartheid South Africa, his support for the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) as well as his close friendship with Yasser Arafat (of Palestine) and Fidel Castro (of Cuba).
This meeting took place in 1990, long before the world had embraced Nelson Mandela or the ANC. However, even then, Mandela stood firm and resolute on his principles and organisation’s policies even though it could have “hurt” his and the ANC’s “image”, for example his support for the Palestinian and Cuban people.
Nelson Mandela supported the Palestinian struggle when it was unfashionable and unpopular, he was a true leader. Hamba Khale Tata…
- LEST WE FORGET – Mandela Was an ‘Enemy of Israel’ (theuglytruth.wordpress.com)
- Nelson Mandela’s Nuanced Support For A Two-State Solution In Israel and Palestine (politicalblindspot.com)
- Mandela Israeli Apartheid gift to Mandela: Martyrs and injuries (windowintopalestine.blogspot.com)
- Nelson Mandela Spoke forcefully on Palestine and Israel (veteransnewsnow.com)
- In 1990 ‘Nightline’ town hall, Jewish leaders call Mandela ‘hypocritical’ and ‘amoral’ over support for PLO, Koppel warns it isn’t politically wise to upset lobby (mondoweiss.net)
- Palestinians remember Mandela as an inspiration (miamiherald.com)
- Writing the Wrongs: Op-Ed: Mandela Was an Enemy of Israel (writingtw.blogspot.com)