The UN has named 2014 as the ‘Year of Solidarity with the Palestinian People.’ The resolution was adopted by the majority of member-states with 110 voting in favor, 7 opposed and 54 abstaining.
The year-long observance will entail organizing special events in cooperation with “governments, relevant organizations of the United Nations system, intergovernmental organizations and civil society.”
A United Nations (UN) car passes in front of new houses which are part of a project funded by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) in the southern Gaza Strip town of Rafah on November 21, 2013.(AFP Photo / Said Khatib)
The new resolution was passed on the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People on Monday, which is celebrated annually and this year was moved up from November 29 due to the Thanksgiving holiday in the US.
“We cannot afford to lose the current moment of opportunity,” Ban Ki-moon said in a message read on his behalf. “The goal remains clear – an end to the occupation that started in 1967 and the creation of a sovereign, independent, and viable State of Palestine based on the 1967 borders, living side by side in peace with a secure State of Israel,” Mr. Ban stated.
Palestinians have made significant strides towards self-determination recently. In November of last year the UN General Assembly granted the Palestinians observer status at the international organization, thus implicitly recognizing a Palestinian state. The Palestinian bid has been upheld with 138 votes in favor, 9 against and 41 abstentions.
The new status could give the Palestinians more weight in peace talks with Israel and gives them a greater chance of joining UN agencies and the International Criminal Court (ICC). Joining the ICC would also grant the Palestinian delegation a greater legal basis for pursuing possible war-crimes prosecutions against the Israeli military.
- | Long overdue: Palestine casts first vote at UN! (truthaholics.wordpress.com)
- Dublin, November 29: Protest to Free Ahmad Sa’adat and Palestinian Prisoners (altahrir.wordpress.com)
- Arab ‘Idol’ speaks for Palestinians from the world stage (timesofisrael.com)
- Doc’s Talk: Iran nuclear deal bears Obama&?39;s personal stamp (docstalk.blogspot.com)
- Doc’s Talk: Runaway train has started downhill:Disagreements break out within hours of Iran accord (docstalk.blogspot.com)
- Bolivia expresses support for Palestine (acercandonaciones.com)
- Israeli Settlements Against Intl Law: Ban Ki Moon (altahrir.wordpress.com)