CMPD officer charged for shooting, killing unarmed 24-year-old ~ Catherine Bilkey and Tina Terry, WSOC-TV.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department signed a warrant on Saturday for voluntary manslaughter in the case of an officer who allegedly shot and killed a 24-year-old.
Police have charged 27-year-old Randall Kerrick with voluntary manslaughter.
Officials said that Kerrick turned himself in on Saturday afternoon.
CMPD spent much of the day on Saturday investigating an officer-involved shooting.
Officers said former FAMU football player, Jonathan Ferrell, was shot in the Bradfield Farms Subdivision in Northeast Charlotte early Saturday morning.
Police said Ferrell knocked on a door early in the morning. The woman inside thought it was her husband and opened the door.
“To her surprise it was a person she did not know or recognize. She immediately closed the door, hit her panic alarm and called 911,” said Chief Rodney Monroe.
Eventually, three officers arrived.
“He immediately charged towards the three officers, one in particular. That officer fired his weapon several times, striking the individual multiple times,” said Monroe.
Ferrell died at the scene and a short time after the shooting police found a black car in some nearby woods. It had apparently crashed.
“We believe that vehicle belonged to the individual who was shot. It’s quite possible he was seeking assistance. Based on his accident, it was a pretty serious accident.”
The two other officers were placed on administrative leave while internal affairs investigates exactly what happened.
A press release from CMPD said that an officer tried to use a Taser on Ferrell before the shooting, but it was unsuccessful.
A press release from CMPD following Kerrick’s arrest said, “This is a very unfortunate incident and it has devastated a family as well as caused a great deal of sadness and anxiety in our organization. However we must always strive to bring forth all facts and evidence in every case to determine when it is appropriate to place criminal charges against a member of the department.”
- CMPD Officer facing charges after fatal Charlotte shooting (wcnc.com)
- Unarmed Man Shot And Killed By CMPD Officer (charlotte.cbslocal.com)
- One dead in officer-involved shooting in east Charlotte (wcnc.com)
- One dead in Charlotte officer involved shooting (wcnc.com)
- CMPD investigating shooting of unarmed man involving an officer (charlotte.news14.com)
- Former FAMU Football Player Shot To Death By Police (wctv.tv)
- Charlotte police kill unarmed man who may have been running to them for help (privateinvesigations.blogspot.com)
- Unarmed man shot by NC police after apparent wreck (azstarnet.com)
- Unarmed man, seeking help after apparent car crash, shot dead by North Carolina police officer (sott.net)
- Charlotte officer charged with shooting, killing unarmed man (myfox8.com)