The US administration has today announced it is prepared to attack Syria without UN backing. If the attack goes ahead it could trigger a catastrophic regional war.
But Obama is facing big problems at home and abroad.
Polling suggests that the Senate is divided and the House of Representatives is opposed to war. Meanwhile many G20 delegates are hostile to an intervention. This crisis for Obama has been precipitated by the vote in parliament here, itself a product of anti war campaigning.
Now we must step up the pressure on Obama. Stop the War is calling on all our supporters to do the following:
- Protest the day the debate in the senate starts. In London we call on everyone to go to the US embassy (Grosvenor Square) on the day of the debate. The timetable for a vote has not been set but we expect the debate to start one day next week.
- Hold ‘No attack on Syria’ public meetings. In London there is a public rally at Conway Hall, Red Lion Square on Wednesday 11 September at 7pm. More details here: http://stopwar.org.uk/events/rally-no-to-war-on-syria.
- Get MPs to pressure Congress. A motion has been tabled in Parliament urging US representatives to reject war. Lobby your local MP to sign up to it online using our lobbying tool: http://act.stopwar.org.uk/lobby/58.
- | Stop the War Coalition welcomes Parliament’s rejection of war on Syria! (truthaholics.wordpress.com)
- | Stop the War Coalition welcomes Parliament’s rejection of war on Syria! (warcrimesinternational.wordpress.com)
- | Peace: Act now – we can make a difference! (truthaholics.wordpress.com)
- | Peace: Act now – we can make a difference! (warcrimesinternational.wordpress.com)
- London demonstration keeps up pressure against attack on Syria (socialistworker.co.uk)
- How We Can Stop the War With Syria in the House of Representatives! (whatreallyhappened.com)
- Stopping the War Agenda in Syria (therebel.org)
- We Won’t Stand By. Obama’s War Can Be Stopped (counterinformation.wordpress.com)
- Stop the War calls Syria demo (morningstaronline.co.uk)
- World should join to stop US war in Syria (rinf.com)