Use our lobby tool to send a message to your MP to vote against military intervention in Syria.
I am writing to you to urge you to oppose any military attack on Syria.
I strongly oppose any military attack on Syria. While I oppose all use of chemical weapons, the latest alleged such attack in Damascus should not be used as a pretext for further exacerbating an already bloody civil war.
It seems that the Western governments have already made up their minds about this attack before it has even been reported on by UN weapons inspectors. They are demanding that ‘something must be done’ even though their record of ‘doing something’ has been nothing short of catastrophic.
There have been numerous western interventions in the Middle East and South Asia over the past 12 years. While the attacks on Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya were all argued for on humanitarian grounds, they have all increased the levels of killing and misery for the ordinary people of those countries. They were in reality all about regime change. This is also what Syria is about.
The same people who brought us those wars have learnt nothing from their mistakes. Now the US, Britain, France and their allies in Turkey and Saudi Arabia are pushing for air strikes. The misnamed envoy for peace in the Middle East, Tony Blair, is once again urging an attack.
Such an attack will have no basis in international law, nor will it have any moral force, despite claims by US Secretary of State John Kerry, from governments who in the past supplied Saddam Hussein with chemical weapons and who have used depleted uranium and white phosphorus in Iraq.
The truth is that this latest plan is about intervening to reshape the Middle East in the strategic interests of the West. Military intervention will make a solution to this complex civil war even more difficult and will be a direct violation of the agreements made at the recent G8 meeting to attempt to resolve this war by an International Conference.
I will be protesting and campaigning against any attack and demand that the British government listen to public opinion, as expressed in recent polls, and play no part in any such attack.
I urge you to vote to oppose any military attack on Syria.
- | UK POLL: Send medicine to Syria, not guns or soldiers! (truthaholics.wordpress.com)
- Syria crisis: Labour deals blow to Cameron’s hopes for Commons support (theguardian.com)
- UK PM office faces anti-Syria-war rally (rinf.com)
- UK PM Backs Down on ‘Urgent’ Syria Strikes Amid Growing Revolt (goldenageofgaia.com)
- Syria crisis: Russia warns of ‘catastrophic consequences’ of military intervention – The Independent (independent.co.uk)
- The heir to Blair: David Cameron makes ‘moral case’ for attack on Syria in echo … – The Independent (independent.co.uk)
- Syria crisis: Britain sends six Typhoon fighter jets to Cyprus ahead of military strikes (telegraph.co.uk)
- An attack on Syria will only spread the war and killing | Seumas Milne (theguardian.com)
- Labour undecided over Syria vote (bbc.co.uk)
- Syria conflict: latest (telegraph.co.uk)