EU demands ‘full clarification’ over NSA spying on European diplomats, warns of severe impact on relations ~ RT.
The president of the European parliament has demanded an explanation from US authorities over the latest revelation that EU diplomatic missions in Washington, New York and Brussels were under electronic surveillance from the NSA.
“I am deeply worried and shocked about the allegations of US authorities spying on EU offices,” said the President of the European Parliament Martin Schulz. “If the allegations prove to be true, it would be an extremely serious matter which will have a severe impact on EU-US relations.”
“On behalf of the European Parliament, I demand full clarification and require further information speedily from the US authorities with regard to these allegations,” he added.
Other EU diplomats also expressed shock concerning the latest batch of revelations in the NSA leak, reported by Der Spiegel magazine on Saturday.
“The United States would be better off monitoring its secret services rather than its allies,” Asselborn continued. “We must get a guarantee from the very highest level now that this stops immediately.”
A spokesman for the Office of the US Director of National Intelligence had no comment on the Der Spiegel story.
Snowden, 30, a former CIA employee who blew the whistle on the massive US surveillance program that collected data both at home and abroad, is presently in the transit zone of Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport, while he is attempting to gain political asylum in Ecuador.
- EU demands clarification over US spying claims (guardian.co.uk)
- EU demands clarification over US spying claims (oddonion.com)
- News & World Events – EU concern over Der Spiegel claim of US spying (disclose.tv)
- US reportedly bugged EU offices, computer networks, according to Der Spiegel magazine (abc.net.au)
- Report: NSA Spied On European Union Offices, Networks (reuters.com)
- Magazine claims US bugged EU offices (aljazeera.com)
- E.U. alarmed over alleged U.S. bugging of its offices (dailystar.com.lb)
- EU anger at ‘disgusting’ reports American spies bugged its offices (metro.co.uk)
- EU alarmed over alleged US bugging (news.com.au)
- Anger over Snowden claims US bugged EU offices – Channel 4 News (channel4.com)