More than 300,000 attempts were made to access pornographic websites at the Houses of Parliament in the past year, official records suggest.
The figures were not all “purposeful requests” and may have been exaggerated by third-party software and websites that reload themselves, they added.
About 5,000 people work on the parliamentary estate.
Attempts per month
- May 2012: 2,141
- June 2012: 2,261
- July 2012: 6,024
- August 2012: 26,952
- September 2012: 15,804
- October 2012: 3,391
- November 2012: 114,844
- December 2012: 6,918
- January 2013: 18,494
- February 2013: 15
- March 2013: 22,470
- April 2013: 55,552
- May 2013: 18,346
- June 2013: 397
- July 2013: 15,707
However, the figures vary wildly: in November, there were 114,844 attempts to access websites classed as pornographic, but just 15 in February.
‘Ridiculous’A Commons spokeswoman said: “We do not consider the data to provide an accurate representation of the number of purposeful requests made by network users.”
This was because there was a “variety of ways in which websites can be designed to act, react and interact and due to the potential operation of third party software,” she said.
Some of the hits may have been registered by websites that generate a number of views during a single visit, or those that automatically link to other sites via pop-ups, she explained.
Prime Minister David Cameron announced in July that most households in the UK would have pornography blocked by their internet provider unless they chose to receive it.
Online pornography was “corroding childhood” and “distorting” children’s understanding of sex and relationships, he argued.
The UK’s biggest internet service providers have agreed to the filters scheme meaning it should cover 95% of homes.
But one of Mr Cameron’s advisers, Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales, said the plans were “absolutely ridiculous”.
14 AUGUST 2013,BUSINESS
03 AUGUST 2013, UK
22 JULY 2013, POLITICS
22 JULY 2013, TECHNOLOGY
Officials have not disclosed which sites they have classified as pornographic
- Online porn boom: Liberating minds or damaging brains?
- PM’s online porn plan ‘ridiculous’
- Cameron unveils online porn curbs
- 300,000 attempts to access porn from Parliament (itv.com)
- UK parliament accessed porn 300,000+ times in just one year (news.techeye.net)
- 300,000 attempts to view online porn from British parliament (capitalfm.co.ke)
- Parliamentary porn consumption laid bare (yutahu.wordpress.com)
- Over 300,000 attempts made to watch pornography in UK Parliament in a year (ndtv.com)
- UK MPs visit porn sites 800 times a day (rinf.com)
- 300,000 attempts to view online porn from British parliament (dailystar.com.lb)
- Now we know how often the U.K. Parliament searches for porn (dailydot.com)